Congratulations to the 2012 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award Recipients
|Bjorn Berg||Industrial & Systems Eng.||Engineering|
|Lissette Betancur||Plant Biology||CALS|
|Mohammad Harb||Mechanical & Aerospace Eng.||Engineering|
|Preston Montague||Landscape Architecture||Design|
|Samantha Swatling-Holcomb||Plant Biology||CALS|
|Stephanie Vereen||Civil, Const. and Envir. Eng.||Engineering|
2012 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award Ceremony
Date: March 23rd, 2012
Time: 12:00 – 3:00 PM
Location: McKimmon Center
The deadline for nominations is Monday, February 27, 2012
Click below for the documents:
- 2012 Nomination Form Instructions
- 2012 DGP Nomination Form
- 2012 DGP Nomination Form (printable, fill-in PDF)
- 2012 Individual Nomination Form
- 2012 Individual Nomination Form (printable, fill-in PDF)
The Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards serves as the primary university-level forum for recognizing exceptional contributions made by Graduate Teaching Assistants to the educational excellence of the University. This annual event is a celebration of excellence in graduate student teaching in the laboratory and classroom. The UGSA Teaching Effectiveness Committee invites the Directors of Graduate Programs (DGPs) to nominate a small number of TAs that exemplify outstanding teaching and mentoring and go beyond what is required of them. All departments are encouraged to participate so that their students receive the recognition they deserve.
The UGSA Teaching Effectiveness Committee typically announces the call for nominations for the Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards in January. All graduate teaching assistants serving in the previous academic year are eligible for being nominated. In the past, each DGP were encouraged to nominate the top 10% of graduate TA’s within his or her program. The nomination period lasts for approximately one month. The nomination procedures in each program can vary. Typically DGPs will notify departmental faculty of the awards. Then the faculty members complete the nomination form for each Graduate Teaching Assistant they wish to recommend and submit the nomination forms to the DGPs. However, students may be nominated themselves to their advisors and/or DGPs to ensure consideration for the awards.
Once all nominations have been received, they will be reviewed by the Teaching Effectiveness Committee, and the top graduate teaching assistants will be selected to each receive a cash reward if the fund is available. In the past, the source of funding is from the Alumni Association Office, the Provost Office, and the UGSA. All students will be notified of their nomination, and will be invited along with you and the Associate Deans for Academic Affairs of your college to attend the luncheon held during Graduate Education Week. A luncheon will precede the awards ceremony, where each nominated student will be receive a certificate recognizing their contributions, and the cash award winners will be announced and receive their prizes.
I. Instructions for Directors of Graduate Programs (DGPs)
- Notify departmental faculty of the awards, providing a link to the “Individual Nomination Form.”
- Request that faculty submit their nomination to you (the DGP), allowing enough time before the nomination deadline so that you can review and select the allowable number of departmental nominees from those recommended by the faculty.
- Complete the “DGP Nomination Form”, attaching the forms for the departmental nominees, and submit this material to The UGSA Teaching Effectiveness Committee via Campus Mail.
II. Instructions for Faculty Nominators
- Complete the “Individual Nomination Form” for each Graduate Teaching Assistant you wish to recommend as an Outstanding Teaching Awards nominee. Please provide specific details regarding the exceptional performance of your nominee(s), including your own evaluation of TA performance and reason(s) for recommending them
- Submit your completed nomination form(s) to your departmental DGP by the date specified by your DGP to ensure consideration for the awards